In moderation, some human foods are safe to share with your pooch. But some of the snacks that we enjoy can be extremely toxic to dogs. Below, we’ve listed some of the top ones to look out for and to avoid. If you suspect your pooch has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount and contact your vet:
Similarly to caffeine, chocolate contains a stimulating ingredient. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and is found in milk, white and dark chocolate, with the highest dosage found in dark. The effects of poisoning will occur anywhere between 4 and 24 hours after consumption and can have detrimental effects on the central nervous system, kidneys, heart, and gut. Symptoms may include diarrhoea, vomiting, restlessness, and seizures. For guidance on what to do if your dog has eaten chocolate, click here.
If you’re tucking into some chocolate and your dog is giving you the “puppy dog eyes” – don’t give in. Treating your pooch shouldn’t put their health at risk – try one of our ‘junk-free’ chews instead:
– No artificial flavours⠀
– Cold-formed to preserve the natural flavours and nutrients from high quality ingredients
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins can have detrimental effects on a dog’s kidneys, even causing kidney failure. Although the toxic substance that causes this reaction is unknown, it is best to avoid feeding these to your dog until more information is available.
Onions, Garlic, Chives
Cats are more susceptible to the damaging effects of these herbs, but dogs are also at risk if large amounts are consumed. In a worst-case scenario, excessive consumption can lead to red blood cell damage, while gastrointestinal irritation is likely to be a more immediate result.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many human food products. Although it is popular among diabetics for its low glycaemic index, Xylitol consumption in dogs can cause fatal effects, a rapid decline in blood sugar, and leave permanent liver damage. It can cause inulin increase, resulting in hypoglycemia with symptoms including lethargy, vomiting and loss of coordination.
Large amounts of salt can result in sodium ion poisoning in dogs. Signs that your dog may have consumed an excess of salt include excessive thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhoea, and elevated temperature. In extreme cases, ingesting large amounts of salt can result in fatality in pets.
While there are human foods that you can share with your dog in moderation, there’s a range of canine treats you can choose from to please your pooch. Our wheat-free tube treats are natural, ethical and low calorie. Available in a variety of flavours, the treats are hand baked and tailored to target a variety of doggy health problems.